Just a Writing Update

2 Apr 2013

Well, it just occurred to me that it has been an entire month since I last posted. I'm so, so sorry. I've been so busy with uni and doing my final edit for my novel. Being so busy with editing I haven't had the time to really write anything so I don't have any new poems or stories to share with you but that will Insha'allah change this month because April is National Poetry Month and and the month of Camp Nanowrimo. Some of you would be familiar with Nanowrimo or National Novel Writing Month. For those that don't know about it, it's a self-driven challenge to write 50,000 words in the month of November. Camp Nanowrimo which I'm doing now is exactly the same, except it takes place firstly in April and then in July and you can choose your word count goal. Also instead of large forums you get put in small 'cabins' with up to 5 other people.
Basically, with all of these challenges you write a novel in a month. I wrote the first draft of my novel in Nanowrimo 2011 and re-wrote and re-structured it (as the first draft made absolutely no sense whatsoever) in 2012. I finished the last few chapters in February this year.
However, that leaves me a problem. I've used the Nanowrimo challenge to write this novel. But now it's finished. Which means what am I going to write about this year? Should I start on the second book of my planned trilogy or should I take a break and try to placate another one of my plot bunnies bouncing around in my head? For this April challenge I'm working on an anthology of short stories, poems and articles for a Muslim teen composition book I'm planning to author. But that's just a filler so I can decide what my next literary step will be. So while I sit down to ponder this I'll leave you with some links.    
     
http://www.nanowrimo.org/ - The official November 50,000 word challenge site. 
http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/ - Nanowrimo is actually for 13+ but for those younger than that there is this Young Writers Program (YWP) for kids and teens up to 17. You aren't subjected to a 50,000 word goal, you can pick your own word count so it balances easily with family, school and life.  
http://campnanowrimo.org/ - The April and July camp challenge. Again, this is 13+ but the YWP above does do a supplement camp on it's site too for the younger ones that want to participate.  

If any of you do join and want to add me as a writers buddy I am Hadiyah Jacqueline for the official site. I am for the camp as well but you don't have writers buddies there, you have automatically assigned cabins. I also have signed up (with the same name as above) for the YWP but I don't use it as much anymore. Still, add me if you'd like, I'll try to remember to log in and check.    

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm doing Camp NaNoWriMo too! I'm Khulood from Figment, by the way!

Unknown said...

Really? I hope you are going strong so far. Thanks for commenting.

Anonymous said...

I sort of don't understand...is it tricky or is it a test? It doesn't make sense to me :-P?

Unknown said...

Wow, camp came early this year! Last year it was in June and August. Sad to say, I won't be participating in Camp, but glad to say I will be writing ferociously. All the best with it, Hadiyah! If you want a pep talk, you know where to find me! :D

Unknown said...

I know, I was entirely unprepared for the email that popped up in my inbox in March. And now I'm running behind but it's still fun. :) Thanks for commenting and best wishes for your writing.

Post a Comment